- Cowboy Caviar Grapefruit Deviled Eggs (below)
- Kentucky Hot Brown Empanadas
- Chipotle Doughnuts
- Mini Dutch Babies
- Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
- Chive biscuits with homemade rhubarb jam and maple whipped butter
- A board with home-cured lonzino (Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin), beet 'carpaccio', homemade crackers, and local sausages, deviled benton's ham, kimchi scallion sauce
- Michalada and Peach Bourbon Tea along with a LOT of beer!
Grapefruit Deviled Eggs with Cowboy Caviar
A great alternative to traditional deviled eggs. It does take about a week of planning though.
Write a review
- Cowboy Caviar
- 1 Cup Fermented Corn (see below)
- 1 Cup Cooked (or canned) blackened peas (or cow peas)
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup finely diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients and marinade overnight. Taste and adjust salt the next day.
- *For the fermented corn. With a knife, remove kernels from 1 to 2 ears of corn. Put in pint jar and cover with water that has a tablespoon of kosher salt added. Place a piece of plastic wrap over corn to form a seal. Leave on counter 1 week to 1 month. If mold forms, remove it with a spoon (it's not dangerous). Here's a bit more detail, or just google 'lactofermented corn' http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/corn-relish-ultimate-grassfed-burger-topping/
- Egg Filling
- 12 eggs
- Juice from 1/2 a grapefruit (you may not need all of this)
- 2-4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tsp white miso
- salt to taste
- Boil and peel eggs with your favorite technique. We find week or two old eggs work much better. Slice in half and remove yolks to a mixing bowl. Combine yolks with about 1/2 the grapefruit mixture, 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and miso. Adjust grapefruit and sour cream until you reach the desired creamy texture. Add salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp was right for us.
- Using a piping bag, ziplock, or spoon, put filling in egg whites and top with cowboy caviar.
- This was a party hit! It's an unusual surprise with the grapefruit taste, the miso adding a lot of body to the yolks, then the salty, crunchy top.